30 Years Of Slaine-Spoils Of Annwn
After successfully negotiating the Tomb Of Terror,with YOUR help(see previous post),Sláine must undergo a whole new set of trials in Spoils Of Annwn-pronounced A-noon(Progs493-99,25Oct-6Dec’86).Script:Pat Mills;art:Mike Collins and Mark
Sláine,druidess Nest and Ukko the dwarf,are on a voyage to locate the Temple of the Stars,where they hope to discover the Treasures of Annwn.
On the journey Sláine must overcome a variety of challenges(not unlike Greek hero,Hercules’ Twelve Tasks)each one more difficult than the last;including a man-eating bull,an enchanted lion,a vicious unicorn and a giant labyrinth.
Much to Ukko’s disappointment,when Sláine reaches the end of his quest it is revealed that the Spoils of Annwn are in fact the attainment of higher consciousness and the completion of the journey itself is the reward.
Sláine also learns that he is destined to become the Sun King,leader of his people and consort to the Earth Goddess.
With this in mind the Warped Warrior leaves behind Glastonbury and the Isles of Avalon,to journey back to his homeland of Ireland..
- Top:Cover art(Prog493,25Oct’86)-Mike Collins/Mark Farmer.(source:Secret Oranges blog)
- Middle:Interior art-Collins/Farmer
- Below;Cover art(Prog499,6Dec’85)-Collins/Farmer
- Bottom:Cover art-(Best of 2000AD Monthly#93,1Jun’93)-Sean Phillips.
Following straight on from events in ”Time Killer"(see previous post),Sláine with his band of warriors have roused another of the Dark Gods,Grimnismal and must destroy him before he fully awakens to consume all life on the planet!
In another 2000AD first,now is where YOU come in.For this is no “ordinary” Sláine story,it is a role-playing adventure,where you are the Warped One and must guide your friends through the “Tomb Of Terror”!(Progs447-61,7Dec’85-15Mar’86).Script:Pat Mills;art:Glenn Fabry & David Pugh.
- Cover art(Prog447,7Dec’85)-Glenn Fabry.
- You Are Sláine-Garry Leach
- Interior art-Glenn Fabry
- Cover art(Prog449,21Dec’85)-Robin Smith
- Cover art(Prog461,15Mar’86)-Anthony Jozwiak
Mega-epic,Time Killer(Progs411-34,30Mar-7Sep’85)was Pat Mills most ambitious Sláine story thus far,introducing memorable villains,the Cythrons,their leader the Guledig and dark god,the time-worm Crom Cruach,as well as Cythron agent,Elfric Serpent-Eye-a near invulnerable shape-shifter,oblivious to pain-who Sláine meets at the Battle of Clontarf(Ireland,1014 AD)and would go on to be one of his greatest foes.
Also in this story-arc are the sorcerer Myrddin(also known as Merlin),Atlanteans Mogrooth and daughter,Tlachtga,future High-King of Ireland,Brian Boru and warrior son,Murdach,all of whom help Sláine in his fight against the Cythrons and Crom Cruach.
30 Years Of Slaine:Enter The Dragon!
In Dragonheist(Progs361-67,24Feb-5May’84)the wandering Sláine comes across Nest,a young druidess,who has to leave her studies to run her late father’s dragon farm.
After rescuing Nest from angry villagers who unfairly blame her prize dragon,The Knucker,for cattle deaths,Sláine tames and keeps the dragon as a reward.
- Cover art,top:Dragonheist(Best Of 2000AD#22,from Prog361,24Feb’84)-One off by Ian Gibson.
- Cover art,below:Dragonheist(Prog367,5May’84)-Series artist,Massimo Belardinelli.
- Interior art:Dragonheist-Ice dragon,The Mata emerges from its pit to hunt,under cover of darkness!-Massimo Belardinelli
- Int. art:Dragonheist-The Mata displays its brutal efficiency for killing,as it effortlessly takes down a large stag-Belardinelli
- Int. art:Dragonheist-Slaine rides in on his newly-tamed dragon,The Knucker,to save Nest from The Mata!-Belardinelli
With Massimo Belardinelli replaced by Mick McMahon as regular Slaine artist,the strip took on a much earthier,visceral tone.
The McMahon droid’s fluid lines and detailed action sequences were a revelation,giving the character added gravitas and dimension.
McMahon's run on Slaine consisted of five unforgettable adventures,producing some of his finest work:
- Warrior’s Dawn(Prog335,24Sep’83)
- The Beltain Giant(Prog336,1Oct’83)
- Heroes’ Blood(Progs345-47,3-17Dec’83)
- The Shoggey Beast(Progs348-51,24Dec’83-14Jan’84)
- Sky Chariots(Progs352-60,21Jan-17Mar’84)
All of the above stories(and more!)are collected in 2000AD graphic novel,Warrior’s Dawn,and you can see the McMahon droid reprise classic Thrill,Sky Chariots with all-new art,in current Slaine 30th anniversary tale,”Book of Scars”.
- The Land of the Young in Slaine's Time(full-colour map)-Angie Kincaid
- Cover art:Prog 355-Sky Chariots-Cam Kennedy
- Cover art:Prog 357-Sky Chariots-Cam Kennedy
- Cover art:Prog 358-Sky Chariots-Cam Kennedy
- Interior art:The Shoggey Beast-Mick McMahon
- Interior art:Slaine does his great Salmon Leap in Sky Chariots!-Mick McMahon
- Interior art:Slaine's vessel is attacked by the Norsemen's Skyblades,from Sky Chariots-Mick McMahon
- Interior art:Full-scale battle action from Sky Chariots-Mick McMahon
- Classic cover art:Warrior’s Dawn-Mick McMahon
The second Sláine artist was the late Massimo Belardinelli(1938-2007)whose boundless imagination and skill at portraying wild beasts and monsters,was perfectly suited in capturing the young Celt’s early adventures;many people believe his is the definitive version.
- Cover art:“The Beast In The Broch”Best Of 2000AD Monthly#19(1Apr’87,after Prog334,17Apr’83)
- Cover art’”The Bride Of Crom”(Prog341,7Sep’83)
- Cover art:”Dragonheist”(Prog367,5May’84)
Read new Slaine Thrill-“Book of Scars"-a fascinating look at 30 years of the Warped One's daring exploits,written by creator,Pat Mills and drawn by Clint Langley,with contributions from original Slaine artists,such as comic luminaries,Mick Mcahon,Glenn Fabry and Simon Bisley
30 Years Of Slaine-“We Didn’t Think It Too Many!”
To commemorate thirty years of our favourite celtic champion,2000AD are running “The Book of Scars",a new series that takes a retrospective look at Slaine's warrior past,using the imaginative vehicle of our hero's scar-ravaged body to tell the tale(s).
Each scar has its own story,told in a series of flashbacks using the original artists(where possible)and with all-new artwork.
This is a terrific idea and will see such comics giants as Mick McMahon reprising his “Sky Chariots" storyline,considered by many as some of the strip’s greatest b/w linework,and Simon Bisley returning to his genre-defining full-colour masterpiece “The Horned God”.
Held together beautifully by regular Slaine artist Clint Langley,in his inimitable digital style,this groundbreaking series promises to be an essential piece of classic Thrill-Power™!
Go and buy your copy today!
To get you in the mood I will be posting an in-depth history of the best of Slaine's adventures from the past thirty years,in chronological order- starting with the Warped One's first outing..
- First cover by original artist Angie Kincaid;then wife of Slaine creator,Pat Mills
- Slaine debuts in “The Time Monster”(Prog330,20Aug’83)